With solutions such as FiREapps, the role of Treasury within the organization can be more advisory and strategic.
Featured Case Study: FLIR Systems Inc.
Under the leadership of a new treasurer with a strong FX background, FLIR’s approach to managing foreign exchange exposure and risk has undergone a dramatic transformation over the past several years. What used to be an informal and labor-intensive manual process is now a structured, automated FX management program that elevates the benefits of exposure elimination and hedging beyond treasury to the corporate level, both strategically and operationally.
The FLIR FX management program takes a holistic cost-benefit approach to minimizing FX gain/loss while protecting EPS and providing predictability in the income statement. Using FiREapps cloud-based software to identify, analyze, eliminate, and manage foreign exchange exposure and risk across multiple currency pairs, the treasury team at FLIR has:
- Increased confidence in exposure numbers from zero to 90 percent with automated data extraction from SAP and template-based aggregation from other systems of record.
- Organically reduced balance sheet exposure by more than 50 percent in the first six months by using exposure intelligence to restructure and settle outstanding intercompany transactions.
- Instituted a successful hedging program that reduces volatility in the income statement and enables historical cost/risk analysis to identify new currency pairs for future hedging with optimized interest income.
- Improved cash management decision-making by analyzing the historical impact of FX on forecasted revenues and expenses, and enabling collaboration between treasury and accounting to mitigate risks across the income statement.
- Continuously adapted and improved the program using a monthly Cost and Risk Efficiency (CoRE) Analysis to align FX risk management strategies with corporate risk tolerances.
Click here to view video excerpt
To download the full document, please register your information below: